LIFEGUARD TRAINING NY
"Take A Class For Life"
To take part of the Water Safety Instructor course, the student must be a minimum age of 16. Demonstrate swimming skills consistent with the Stroke Performance Charts, Level 4, by swimming the following strokes:
1) Front Crawl – 25 yards
2) Back Crawl – 25 yards
3) Breaststroke – 25 yards
4) Elementary backstroke – 25 yards
5) Sidestroke – 25 yards
6) Butterfly – 15 yards
7) Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
8) Tread water for 1 minute
If you are at least 16 years old and a proficient swimmer, you can become a Water Safety Instructor (WSI). This approximately 30-hour course will help you teach skills that may save a life, gain terrific work experience as an aquatics professional, earn money or join a volunteer team while you help people learn valuable skills.
In addition you will learn organizational and presentation skills that will help you in any career and make a difference in people’s lives. Whether you want to splash around with kids and teach them to swim, help children and adults refine their strokes or teach diving safety techniques, you can do it as an Water Safety Instructor.
The purpose of the Water Safety Instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn-to-Swim, Adult Swim courses, and water safety courses and presentations.
Once the student passes the Water Safety Instructor (WSI) class the student can teach:
Swimming and Water Safety, Learn to Swim Levels 1-6
Parent and Child Aquatics
Water Safety Outreach
Basic Water Rescue
Water Safety Presentations
On the first day of the Water Safety Instructor (WSI) class the student should bring:
Water Safety Instructor book (you can purchase it from us)
We now offer a Water Safety Instructor (WSI) course. We offer this class in Nassau and Suffolk County in Long Island NY and in Brooklyn NY.
If you are interested in offering the Water Safety Instructor (WSI) class at your facility, please give us a call at 718 954-5567 or email us at Admin@lifeguardtrainingny.com
Is the WSI class ran in the Blended Learning format?
Only some of our Water Safety Instructor (WSI) classes are ran as Blended Learning. Blended Learning is where the students do part of the classes online and the rest is in person. If the class is ran in the Blended Learning format, we will post it next to the class schedule.
1. The students will be able to teach and recognize important factors related to each stroke and skill at each level.
2. The students will be able to develop, plan and organize lesson plans and block plans.
3. The students will be able to understand and promote aquatic safety.
4. The students will be able to adapt lessons based on participants’ disabilities or cultural background.
5. The students will be able to evaluate participant performance.
6. The students will understand the scientific principles that are used in teaching and being able to perform the strokes.
7. Students will be able to use the information from the Water Safety Instructor’s Manual and the Swimming and Diving Manual to teach Swimming and Water Safety courses
After registering got the WSI class, we will send you a PDF copy of the manuals.
On the first day of class, students must bring in both copies of the WSI manual’s. Students may also bring in their laptop, tablet and any device that can read the PDF files to class.
To be reauthorized as a Water Safety instructor, instructor must teach or co-teach at least one course of record from the list above or Safety Training for Swim Coaches. Teaching only water safety presentations or Longfellow’ WHALE Tales does not meet the reauthorization requirements.
Upon completion of the Water Safety Instructor course. the student will receive a a New York State approved Water Safety Instructor certification saying you passed, and a PDF copy of the certification.
Upon successful course completion, Water Safety Instructor candidates will receive a Water Safety Instructor certification that is valid for 2 years.
We teach this Water Safety Instructor (WSI) course in Nassau County, Suffolk County Long Island and in Brooklyn NY.